Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yarn Along:: Sort of...


I've been knitting-- well if you consider moving my knitting basket to vacuum last night and then thinking very hard about what to knit next, then of course, I'm knitting.

But, as I looked at Kerry's Honey Cowl and at this. I thought, hmmm I've never made a baby sweater and there are lots of friend's babies on the way. I should knit something. So I'm going to, perhaps that tiny sweater will end up in the next Yarn Along addtion.

But, I am reading.

I finished a beautiful book last night (after vacuuming, laundry, dishes, paperwork... you know the usual), called Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women. 

It was indeed just that, an invitation into a life of these women to share a table, to share their joy and heart ache-- learning how they lived their lives so differently and yet so similarly. The back of the book calls it a 'soul-comforting read.' And it was, it read quickly almost as if it was written as a letter.

I'm glad that these women didn't try to cast stones at the weaknesses of the 'English' or the Amish-- there was admiration on both sides, for both traditions.

If your heart needs some soul-comforting, a few recipes and some heartening verses/poems, this would be the book I'd reach for.

It's going to be a girls end to the week, starting with Girl Scouts tonight, a girl date tonight and a girls craft weekend too(love my girl friends)! I'm spoiled (and excited)!

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin