Thursday, September 2, 2010

Read Aloud: Hope for the Flowers


In my search for age-appropriate read aloud books for the kids, I came across Hope for the Flowers. I borrowed it from a friend who said, "YOU MUST READ THIS."

And I'm so glad we did. It is very much age-appropriate at any age. About risk-taking to make something beautiful. About not following just to follow. And the lead characters? Catapillars named Yellow and Stripe, no less. Though this novel was written in 1973, I feel like it was written for me, for them, right now.

I poked around the web and you can still get a copy here.

********

So far we've read Sarah, Plain and Tall, Skylark, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

And on my last Read Aloud post, we got tons of great suggestions on what to read next.

Laural Ingalls Wilder

Roald Dahl-- Of which I've read everything by him that I could get my hands on. When I was a nanny, we read George's Marvelous Medicine-- and the girls still have it (one of them is a senior in college!).

Toy Go Out or Toy Dance Party

Beverly Cleary

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo

Stewart Little

Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones (I would also recommend Big Susan)

"My Naughty Little Sister" series by Dorothy Edwards

The "Betsy" books by Carolyn Haywood

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindegren

Little Pear by Eleanor Frances Lattimore

Mr Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater

Fudge by Judy Blume

Such a great list! Anymore to add?

1 comment:

Lillian said...

Please will you come and live next door to me?? This is one of my favorite, favorite books:) And I love your list of books. I keep a million book lists going all of the time and I just started one recently of books to start accumulating for when they get a wee bit older - these are all perfect additions!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin