Friday, March 27, 2009

Let's Make: Green Cleaning Supplies


P1012851, originally uploaded by TheYellowDoorPaperie.
Let’s make cleaning products shall we?

Spring cleaning is here and since, I hate the idea of noxious, toxic chemicals around my little people. SO instead I’ve been known to make my own.
So I make wonderful smelling, natural, disinfectant cleaner.

You can get as fancy as you want with it. But the process that I use-- it works for me. You can could organic vodka, chamomile and lavendar to make an organic version.

Camomile vodka poured into borax and water (before mixing).

Lavender Chamomile Disinfectant
2 quarts Hot Water
1/2 cup Borax
1/4 cup Vodka or Chamomile Vodka (See Recipe Below) --- you can use cheap vodka for this.
15 drops of Lavender essential oil

In a big glass jar, or whatever you have, mix hot water and borax. Let set for about 20 minutes, shaking occasionally until all the borax is dissolved. Add vodka and lavender essential oil. ++NOTE: Strain mixture though a sieve or a coffee filter after the borax makes crystals. 
Pour into a spray bottle. I keep the rest under my sink until I need it as a refill.


Chamomile Infused Vodka
1 bottle of Vodka— you can use cheep vodka. We run ours through a brita filter a few times for purification. You can really taste the difference!
6 chamomile teabags, bags removed or whole leaf tea or chamomile dried flowers

Mix in a glass jar. Leave in a dark, cool, dry cupboard for 15 days. Strain with a coffee filter.

1 comment:

Erin Alaska said...

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the recipe.
Don't you just love SB, if only the houses weren't all a million dollars, even the shanties :)

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin