Monday, June 2, 2014

Gluten Free: Marsala Mushroom Cream Sauce


Not too long ago, I found myself standing in front of the fridge, like I do most nights, wondering what in the world I was going to make for dinner. I thought it would help if Lynne Rosetto Kasper showed up, at least we could play 'Stump the Cook' and I'd have a beautiful meal out of her other-worldly suggestions, but alas. It was just me and the few things I thought I could make into a meal.

On the immediate list the end of a bottle of cream, a few mushrooms needing to be used up, leftover steak... and I started turning my wheels. My mom used to make this really beautiful chicken Marsala-- so I grabbed a bottle of cooking wine and started assembling flavors. A bit of this an that. It turned out really well. And once the table was set, wine poured and the candles were lit, it seemed like my dinner dilemma was a far away memory.


Perhaps, you'd like to tuck this in your back pocket for an front-of-fridge emergency?

Marsala Mushroom Cream Sauce
1/4 onion diced fine
1 clove of garlic diced fine
2 carrots diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 of cooked steak
1/4 cup of Marsala cooking wine
1//2 cup of cream
1 Cup Chicken stock
5-10 Baby Bella mushrooms sliced
Sprinkle of Thyme
Sprinkle of Savory
Springle of Garlic Powder
As always, I started with a glug of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. I sauteed the onion and garlic until they were fragrant. Then add the carrots and stir until they are coated with oil. Salt. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and wine. Then add the seasonings. Simmer about 10 to 15 minutes until thickened. Add cream and sliced mushrooms. Stir until combined. Cook gently about 5 minutes more. Add to pasta. We use gluten free.


No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin