Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Yarn Along: Wild and Simple



This week while I was at the Library looking for Adventure books for Truman I stumbled upon Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (for ME to read!). This book has been making it's rounds in the blogging world and in Yarn Along for quite a few months (here, here, here). And Gretchen Rubin interviewed her about happiness, here.

I finished the book this evening... I loved the imagery of the trail, the scenery, her determination and the fact that she was a woman who took on the wilderness and came out to tell about it. And the idea that hard work and natural landscapes can -in fact- save you from yourself and offer prospective. 

I did kind of feel like I was flashing back to my childhood a bit, our parents believed in exposing us to State and National Parks and we spent a good chunk of time every summer careening through forests and setting up tents. Most of the stops on the map we had camped at, walked through or drove by. I was so sad that she had to bypass Yosemite, Tuolumne Meadows and a greater portion of the Sierra Nevada's, I would have loved to hear a story with those touchstone places as a backdrop.

I was not disappointed by the book. It is not the book for everyone, but I liked it just fine once it finished.



On the yarn front, I just cast on for these simple mittens. I've decided that I need a pair of mittens in some sort of beautiful yarn that I got from my friend Hannah. And these mittens just might be the simple quick project I need to bring me out of the knitting rut I've been in for quite some time.


As always, I'm joining along with Ginny for Yarn Along.

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin