Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How To: Make your own 'pot holder' rug loom.


I've been wanting to make a loom for years, but I hadn't thought about it in a long time until, the Des Moines Farmers’ Market, on Saturday. I saw the most amazing woven alpaca, bamboo and cotton shawls. (Of course I neglected to take a picture). After a few minutes of chatting, come to find out this woman makes all of these beautiful shawls on homemade looms. Then proceeds to tell us HOW to make them. I make mental notes.

Then I see this on Design Mom’s blog today, seriously, today. And that gets my wheels turning. Let’s start with fabric instead of yarn. Then the task of making a loom might not be so daunting.

After dinner, while the kids were still in their baths (and husband was upstairs with them). I ran down to my studio in the basement and I grabbed what we had. A just-about-ready-to-be-thrown-out-white-board, box of rusty finishing nail-- hey, if I’m not sure this will work, I’m not buying anything-- and a hammer. Throw in a roll of blue painting tape and I ran back upstairs.

So... I took the blue tape and cut it into squares. I hate measuring and this look to be about the exact size apart I would want the nails to be apart.


Taped one whole side, nailed at each tape juncture.

Proceed all the way around the frame.


Place one extra nail at the start peg and finish peg of your loom to hold a tied loop, when finished loop can be untied and excess can be woven back into rug.


Thread as you wish.

And that folks is how you make a loom in 20 minutes. However, nailing will be loud, and may keep your kids up. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!


 **********



Are you new here? We'd love to meet you!
Some of my favorite posts: 
2. 2014 theme for the year--Repeat the Sounding Joy.


Connect with Mary on Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram.

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin