Tuesday, September 1, 2009

30 Days of Happiness: Nesting


Nesting, originally uploaded by TheYellowDoorPaperie.

(Day 6) The end of August ushered in an unseasonably cold wind. Which left me wanting to make soup, and the empty bread box told me baking bread was a necessity.


We had an odd afternoon, but it left Isabel, Lucy and I home to finish up dinner. And as the soup simmered away in the crockpot and the bread started baking in the oven. We settled down in the kitchen to watch old episodes of Adventures in Wonderland (a show from the Disney channel in the late 80’s). I picked up my knitting and she colored away. It was just a few minutes, but with all the busyness to get the garden put by, I appreciate these few minutes of rest.


Here is a super easy soup for a winter day. I start it at lunchtime (noonish) and it’s done when we get home (five-ish).

Split Pea Soup
9 cups of water
1 16 oz package of dry split peas (rinsed and picked through)
1/2 cup of pintos, navy beans or white beans (rinsed and picked through)
1/2 cup carrots (about 2 mediums size)
1/4 cup chunked ham
1 small onion (diced finely)
2 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry parsely
1 clove garlic finely chopped
Pepper to taste

Combine all in slow cooker. Cook on low for 5+ hours. Do not stir until ready to serve— the peas and beans will break apart and will make a gloppy soup.
Makes about 6 servings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that bread looks amazing

April said...

That sounds sooo yummy. I've also had one that had barley in it - delish!!

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

Ooh, thank you for the recipe. I love pea soup, but haven't made it before, and that's just silliness!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin