Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Plum and a Party

If you remember from way back, I talked about Booze Cake. It’s a family recipe that my grandma makes and it’s quite lovely. Though the recipe calls for a cake mix. Now I’m not partial to all the chemically goodness that comes in a dough-man-laden-blue-box.

The original recipe calls for cream sherry, but since I had half a bottle of Fuki Plum Wine from dinner the night before, I used it. Equally as delicious. Fuki Plum is a super-sweet, white wine. Totally not what I was expecting when I poured. I thought it’d be well... purple.


And the cake? It turned out moist, and a little crispy crust from the bundt pan, it’s crumbly in a yummy cake sort of way. Yikes I could eat the whole thing myself. But thank goodness it was mostly gobbled up by friends at Eric’s little garden party last night.

Eric's Party was delightful on so many levels. Good food, nice night, wonderful friends, behaving kids... the list goes on. What a happy birthday!



Plum Wine Cake
3 Cups of Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Soda
1/2 cup Non-Fat powdered milk
1 Package of Vanilla Pudding
3 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/4 Cups Fuki Plum Wine
5 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons shortening

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients together create a well and pour in all wet ingredients, fold in until no minimal lumps. Pour batter in a bundt pan (or two cake pans). Wet a spatula and spread cake batter semi even (it will flatten out on its own, but I like to make it even). Bake for 40-45 minutes (18-25 for 2 cake pans) or until a deep golden brown. It’s gets crusty and delicious.... Springs back when touched and comes out clean on a tooth pick.

For Plum Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Enough Fuki Plum Wine to moisten the sugar and make it all glazey... about a scant tablespoon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin