Friday, January 23, 2009

My Secret Weapon

Do you have one? The recipe you can use on almost any occasion with a bunch of different ingredients make something fool proof?

I have one recipe that has gotten me out of so many jams.

Bread pudding. It can take any ordinary piece of day old bread, bagel, pancake or waffle and make it into something that people say. “This is delicious.”

Breakfast, after dinner. Heck, for dinner if you want!

I took note of how I made it the other night. I used left over French toast and then added to it. (No one was the wiser!)


Fabuloso French Toast Bake (AKA Bread Pudding)

1 Bag of bread (white, wheat, even raisin bread) cut into chunks

3-5 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar (brown, raw or white... Or a combo)
1/2 package of cream cheese (microwave for 30 sec. to a minute to incorporate easier)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or pancake syrup)
1/4 cup milk
3 tbsp butter melted
Cinnamon to taste. I like at least 1 tsp. But I love cinnamon.


Mix all ingredients, except bread.

Place all chunks of bread in a 9x13 greased pan. Pour over bread and pat bread down to absorb all the liquid. If I have time, I let it sit in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour or so. If not, I just make sure its well soaked.

Bake at 350 until most of the liquid is absorbed and has a golden brown color. Serve with café maple yogurt topping (below).


Café Maple Yogurt Topping
1 cup plain yogurt
3 Tbls Maple Syrup
2 tsp brewed coffee
Sprinkle brown sugar

Mix until Smooth and serve over Bread pudding.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Erin Alaska said...

ahhh! bread pudding, love it! I'll have to try that asap.
:)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Nigella Lawson's doughnut french toast http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/doughnut-french-toast-recipe/index.html

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin