Monday, September 22, 2008

First Day of Autumn


What is it about the start of fall that makes you want to create, cook from scratch, can a bunch of tomatoes, make pumpkin pie…. and on and on?


I’ve been trying to figure out some ways to save money, use up all of our delicious fresh eggs and eat less chemicals. What could be better than fresh mayonnaise? I hear its way better than store bought and think of all the ways you can customize it! Wasabi, chipotle, horseradish, chili and lime… o the possibilities are endless.

Wouldn’t that bread taste amazing with hearty artisan meats and homemade mayonnaise? Yum!

I made lots of pesto this last week, and so much more to make. I stopped when I ran out of pine nuts. Off to the market to pick up more, and then were back on track!

________

We had the most lovely weekend, documented by my usually faithful Olympus E500. However, my 2 GB card had a hiccup and the new photos of my sweet ones are now just a recent memory.

Here’s a recap of the most relaxing family day we’ve had in a long time.

Izzo went to the Zoo in the morning with her best friend.
If you ask her how her day was she’ll say something like:
“I went to the zoo with Me and Lance and Wendy and Livy and Izzo.” (if you didn’t catch that she went, she’ll inform you twice).
“We saw big cats and a TIGER, there aren’t Lions there, Mom.”
“I wanted to ride on the monkey’s but Miss Wendy said no.”
“We got to ride on a panda!”



We went down to Oak Grove, a state park not to far from us. We skipped rocks and took a walk. The trees were just starting to change and the fields are all now a wonderful golden color. We counted cows and sang silly songs on the way home. We did a few other things, got fast food and had a picnic at a ‘NEW PARK’ that was half way home then headed to pumpkin land for a few minutes to see if we could pick a few, I think we’ll have to wait another week or two.

This week was a wonderful success! Sunday was very restful, just a few tacos for dinner, a trip to the park with Grandma Bonnie and Tammy, followed by snacks and book reading, ending with everyone in bed early.


Adventure for next weekend? Apple picking! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Wish I could try your homemade mayo..sounds yummy! All your photos are just gorgeous by the way!

Anonymous said...

I love pesto, but I don't have it very often as husband is allergic to nuts unfortunately.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin